Hacks and true stories of computing
- “Hacker Folklore” in the Jargon File.
- “Software Folklore”. A collection of stories mostly about bugs.
- LISA '96 sysadmin horror story contest. “LISA” stands for “Large Installation System Administration Conference”.
- “LPD for fun and MP3 playing” in Unix command queues.
- “The Cursed Computer Iceberg Meme”.
- Beating Arkanoid faster than ever by brute force and simulation (h/t Gwern Branwen).
- How Coherent 4.2.05 corrupted filesystems.
- “MP3 for image compression”.
- NetBSD 1.3 dial-up gateway runs from 1998 to 2012.
- “Print this file, your printer will jam”.
- “Russian malware communicates by leaving comments in Britney Spears's Instagram”.
- “The Ultimate in Garbage Collection”.
- “Unix Recovery Legend”.
Tags: compression, humor, links, list, nonfiction, programming, sysadmin.