“The art of destroying software”
“The art of destroying software” is the title of a talk by Greg Young. I attended this talk in person in Kyiv in 2017. I can't find a recording of it, but here is an older 2014 recording. I made the following outline to help me remember it.
- It is massively valuable to be able to rewrite software to change the model.
- Optimize your code for deletion.
- Be able to (re)write a component in one week.
- You can't understand 17000 lines a week.
- Proper objects, Unix philosophy, actors == microservices. Read Alan Kay to understand microservices. Learn Erlang.
- Alan Kay has said he should have called it “message orientation”.
- “Can you imagine working as a developer and not being afraid?”
Tags: notes, programming, software design.