Software for organizing information
- Athens. An open source, local-first Roam Research clone.
- Foam. An open source Roam Research clone as a Visual Studio Code extension.
- Roam. “As powerful as a graph database.” SaaS.
- Org-roam. “Rudimentary Roam replica with Org-mode.”
- Boorus. Oriented towards media, not text. There are many. Every booru I have seen identifies files by their checksum, usually MD5. It may be better instead to identify them by a perceptual hash.
- Hydrus. A cross-platform desktop booru with optional server-based collaboration. Stores tags in a database.
- Tabbles. A desktop and Web-based document manager with optional server-based collaboration. Windows-only. Allows chat-like comments on files. Stores tags in a database. Proprietary.
- TagSpaces. A cross-platform desktop document manager. Stores tags in filenames or sidecar files.
- TMSU. A cross-platform command line tool for tagging files. Can expose a virtual filesystem for accessing files by tag. Stores tags in a database.
- AlternativeTo: Apps tagged with ‘tag-based-file-management’.
Tags: information retrieval, links, list.